Tuesday, September 13, 2011

A true fan

So my blog today is on the Fans of teams everywhere. I’m writing this in response to the terrible loss of BYU at the horns of UT this past weekend.  As a sports fan you are required to have many different attributes. Some of which are as follows, a capacity to scream for long periods of time, you need to be able to stand for a minimum of 3 hours, you need to be able to endure all sorts of weather conditions, you need to be able to coordinate colors with those around you to become one, but most of all I think that you need to be able to have your heart broken time after time and still come back.

                This last attribute is very important as we all know that many times your team will snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.  As the fan you have to be able to look past that and just except that, but with the capacity of being able to the next day be optimistic about the future of your team and the season.  I truly believe that the fan, the not fair weather fan is some sort of a rare breed.  These are the men who are early to each game who are ready to cheer in any situation and have a seemingly endless storage of hope and faith in their team. I bring this up as this is something that is happening to me every year. I always begin the year very excited and a very hopeful person for the season. But that soon melts every year and I’m forced to just remain with the hope that next year will be better, which is something that’s already happened and will continue to happen for years to come. GO BYU! Blue until the end am I.  

6 comments:

  1. I most certainly agree with and love you're description of a sincere fan! I too was brought to tears by the defeat BYU took last weekend but I shall still cheer like mad and wear true blue colors as we take on another intense team this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. For a BYU fan, a win this week is the make or breaker for the season. More important than all the other games is our instate rival, Utah. A win this week would make amends in the hearts of the fans for last weeks heart breaker loss to Texas, whereas a loss this week, even if we had won over Texas, would take a lot of the wind out of our season's sails.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So true! I will always be a BYU fan! after that loss of BYU vs Utah, it just hurts, and especially of the disappointing results of Jake Heaps. I sat there wanting to cheer for him, wanting him to succeed. I could not just do it! He could not pull himself together, I sat there critiquing him. But as a true fan you cannot follow just by blind faith, never ever doubting your players. I too am a true BYU fan will cheer for them day and night! however, I will let everyone know, that Jake Heaps is a disappointment to BYU fans everywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I almost cried when BYU lost to Utah. Not so much that they lost but because of the way they lost. Turnovers and Jake Heaps doing terrible. Im glad you wrote this because I really needed a boost after that horrible loss.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The BYU Utah game was honestly the most disappointing game I have ever watched... I wanted to cry through the entire second half...

    ReplyDelete
  6. All I have to say is AMEN!!! TRUE BLUE ALL THE WAY THROUGH, YES I AM FOR BYU!

    ReplyDelete